Monday, 12 November 2012

The Grounds of Alexandria

With all the hype surrounding this place and the ridiculous waiting times to even get a table (we waited 50 minutes!), I had really high expectations.

So did it live up to the hype? Well, in my honest opinion I'd have to say no. To sum it up, I thought the place was impressive, the coffee was OK, but the food really wasn't all that. I think more than anything, it's the novelty of the place that's generating the hype.

The cafe was beautifully fitted out with a country chic interior. I really loved the charming gardens, complete with a fountain, outdoor sausage sizzle and lemonade stand. 

If you're looking for a place to just be outside enjoying an OK cup of coffee in the sunshine, you'll probably really like this place. It's kid friendly with plenty of outside seating.

But if you're looking to start your day with an excellent cup of coffee and delicious breakfast, I'd recommend you look elsewhere.


The Good

The Grounds

Little garden patch 
 Beautiful gardens at The Grounds 
Coffee was OK. It was the only bright spot in an otherwise disappointing breakfast experience.


The Bad

Scrambled eggs on toast with a side of bacon which was described on the menu as "crispy" but wasn't really crispy on the plate. The scrambled eggs were overcooked and swimming in excess butter (you can see it in the photo..that greasy looking watery thing seeping from underneath the eggs). 
A sad looking bacon and egg roll. It was a bit dry with an uninspired tomato sauce.
So what did you think of The Grounds?

The Grounds of Alexandria
Building 7A, 2 Huntley Street 
AlexandriaNSW 2015

groundsroasters.com
The Grounds of Alexandria on Urbanspoon


4 comments:

  1. I mostly agree - I adore the gardens and coffee; it's great for a takeaway coffee and cake. Hate the long waits for OK food (though I've never made it for breakfast which entails getting there before 10am). If you do ever go for lunch, they do some excellent chips and nice pappardelle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina@foodboozeshoes! Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if ever I do go back for lunch :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard only good things so far, but that breakfast didn't look very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chefs in Shorts! Thanks for leaving a comment. I didn't have the best experience but I still think the grounds are worth seeing on a warm sunny day.

    ReplyDelete