Saturday, 15 June 2013

Melbourne Random Food Finds

When in Melbourne, I think it's best to just ditch the car and put on your walking shoes. Walking along the streets and laneways led me to a number of gems. Here are some of my random eats.

Brother Baba Budan
Brother Baba Budan on Urbanspoon
Best coffee I found was at Brother Baba Budan located on Little Bourke St. Excellent cup of strong cappuccino. Couldn't resist buying a bag of the Seven Seeds beans to take back home. Also loved the hanging chairs decorating the ceiling. 
QV Market
I've been to the QV market before but it was still on my list of places to visit. I love that you can get such a wide variety of food in one place.



Couldn't resist buying some white anchovies (not in photo)
Bratwurst topped with sauerkraut, onion, mustard and relish for breakfast..yum! 

Sonido! 69 Gertrude Steet Fitzroy

Sonido! on Urbanspoon

Sonido! caught my eye when we were walking down Gertrude St. Couldn't resist going in even though we'd already had breakfast. The menu was interesting and it was a really great atmosphere. 

If I had more time I would've loved to come back and have a proper breakfast. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. I'm still glad I got to sample some of the treats.


We ordered a jug of olletota con queso for two ($8.50 for the hot choco + $2 for the cheese). This is a traditional Colombian hot chocolate that you pour over slices of cheese. The cheese didn't really melt or mix with the chocolate so we ended up drinking hot chocolate with solid bits of cheese which was a bit odd, but not unpleasant. The chocolate itself was excellent and perfect for a cold winter's morning 
We decided to try the arepa con choclo ($6) topped with Fresco cheese. I loved this sweet corn flat bread which to me was like a pancake made with corn meal and sweet corn. The cheese provided a nice subtle salty contrast. The other dish we ordered was the traditional guava block with Fresco cheese ($4). The guava block was like a cross between a marmalade and jelly formed into a block with a sugary outer crust. 

Centre Place 

A stroll through the crowded Centre Place took me to my lunch destination, The Soup Place.

Spicy Moroccan chicken soup with slices of bread. A great winter warmer! This place was tiny but was very busy. I loved the flavours of my soup but would have loved more chicken. I wanted to try the mushroom with truffle but it was sold out.


No comments:

Post a Comment